CITY OF WEST PALM BEACH and PALM BEACH PHOTOGRAPHIC CENTRE
GRASSY WATERS PRESERVE 2013 PHOTOGRAPHY CONTEST
Accepting entries January 24 – March 8, 2013
All entries must be taken on the property of
Grassy Waters Preserve
Winning photographs will be exhibited at the Palm Beach Photographic Centre
Grand Prize – Grassy Waters Airboat Photo Shoot
Complete contest rules are available in .pdf file format. Click the link below to download the pdf file.
ALL IMAGES MUST BE TAKEN ON THE PROPERTY OF GRASSY WATERS PRESERVE !
GRASSY WATERS PRESERVE INCLUDES APOXEE PARK.
IT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE SOLID WASTE AUTHORITY AREA WEST OF JOG ROAD.
Access to Grassy Waters Preserve (GWP) can be gained from:
- GWP South: Hours 8:00am – 4:30pm
- Parking at 8264 Northlake Blvd, 4 miles west of I-95 on the south side of Northlake Blvd
- GWP North: Hours 7:00am – 5:30pm
- Parking at 8537 Northlake Blvd, 4.5 miles west of I-95 on the north side of Northlake Blvd
- Apoxee Park: Hours 7:00am – 6:00pm
- Parking at 3125 Jog Rd, west side of Jog Rd one mile north of Okeechobee Blvd
- Owahee Trail: Hours Dawn – Dusk
- Can be accessed via Apoxee Park or the Solid Waste Authority trail system
- Parking is available at a trailhead lot just west of the intersection of 45th St and Jog Rd
Trail maps and activity schedules are available at GWP South.
- Entries may be submitted beginning January 24, 2013 and no later than March 8, 2013. Late entries will not be eligible.
- By submitting an image the photographer affirms that it was taken on the property of the GWP and complies with all contest rules. If an entered image is determined (at the sole discretion of the judges) to be outside the contest area it will be disqualified and the entry fee not refunded.
- The intent of this contest is to showcase GWP. Except for the Digitally Enhanced category entries shall depict the natural environment and may not be significantly enhanced or manipulated (minor burning, dodging and/or color correction is acceptable, as is cropping). Other treatments, including high dynamic range (HDR), stitched and panoramic images are only acceptable in the Digitally Enhanced category.
- All entries must be original images taken by the photographer.
- There is no limit on the number of entries by each photographer.
- In the Adult Division there is a ten-dollar ($10) entry fee per image. In the Youth Division the entry fee is five dollars ($5) per image. The entry fee must be paid when the entry is submitted.
- All entries shall be in digital format. Each image must be at least 1 megabyte and no more than 5 megabytes, in JPEG or JPG format. All images must be submitted on-line.
- This contest is for amateur photographers only. An entry determined at the sole discretion of the judges, to be taken by a professional (defined as someone who makes more than 50% of their income from photography) will be disqualified and the entry fee not refunded.
- By submitting images the photographer is granting permission to the City of West Palm Beach (WPB) and/or PBPC to reproduce and exhibit the submitted images in print, on websites, or in exhibitions without compensation to the photographer. Every attempt will be made to credit the photographer when an image is used. The photographer retains their copyright for other uses.
- If people are clearly recognizable in an image, the photographer must provide a model release with the entry or the image will be disqualified and the entry fee not refunded. For a copy of a recommended model release please contact the contest via email.
- WPB and/or the PBPC take no responsibility for lost or damaged entries.
- WPB and/or the PBPC may use any entry for promoting its activities and will retain perpetual, non-exclusive rights to use any submitted image.
- Judges, and employees of the PBPC and WPB Department of Public Utilities are not eligible to enter this contest. Volunteers and contractors are eligible to submit entries.
- By submitting an entry, the photographer agrees to abide by all contest rules and waives all claims of any kind against the organizers and/or judges of the contest.
- ADULT: 18 and over
- YOUTH: under 18
DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES:
Entries for the Grassy Waters Photo Contest will be accepted starting January 24, 2013 and must be submitted no later than March 8, 2013.
ADULT and YOUTH CATEGORIES:
- WILDLIFE: Images of live birds, fish, reptiles, mammals, etc. taken in a natural setting
- LANDSCAPE: Images of wetlands, marshes, vistas, hammocks, fields, plants, trees, sunrise, sunset, moonrise, weather, sky, water, etc.
- CLOSE-UP: Close up images of any subject in nature, including live insects and flowers
- DIGITALLY ENHANCED: Images significantly altered in post production (see rule 3)
In the Adult Division there is a ten-dollar ($10) entry fee per image.
In the Youth Division the entry fee is five dollars ($5) per image.
The entry fee must be paid when the entry is submitted.
AWARDS AND JUDGING:
- One Grand Prize selected by the contest professional judge (for 2013 Steven Nestler)
- One Best Photo of GWP selected by the GWP staff GWP Judges
- A first place in each adult and youth category selected by the Judge
- Up to fifteen (15) honorable mention selections in each division selected by the Judge.
- The Grand Prize photographer will be invited on a two-hour GWP airboat photo shoot
- All first place adult photographers will be invited on a GWP photo shoot
- All first place youth photographers will be invited on a GWP photo canoe trip or hike
- All winning and honorable mention images will be printed by the PBPC and exhibited at a PBPC (exhibition opening on March 20, 2013)
- Winner of the Best Photo of GWP will be used on the GWP annual poster
Jan 24, 2013 • Entry submission starts
Mar 8, 2013 • Last day to submit images
Mar 20, 2013• Exhibition Opening Reception
Submissions can be made online via the instructions below.
Step 1: Please provide the following information in the entry form:
- Provide all the information requested in the entry form and submit payment.
- There is no limit to the number of entries, but only 5 entries may be submitted on each entry form. You may return to the entry form to submit additional images.
Step 2: Please follow these requirements when preparing your images for submission:
- All images must be in JPG format.
- Individual files must be between 1000KB and 5000KB (1MB and 5MB) in size.
- File names must be of the following format:
Your last name followed by the underscore character, first name followed by the underscore character, and the number of your entry to match the image titles you submitted in Step 1, entry form.
e.x.: doe_john_1.jpg doe_john_2.jpg etc.
- File names must NOT contain spaces or any other punctuation characters other than dash or underscore: - and _
Any files not confroming to these specifications will not be accepted.
Submission are no longer being accepted.