The National Press Photographers Association's
BEST of PHOTOJOURNALISM 2014 CONTEST
Award Show + Education FESTIVAL
Opening Reception: Aug 8, 5:00-7:00pm
2 DAYS of Events
- August 8 & 9, 2014
FREE to All
(see schedule below)
On View thru August 30, 2014
ALL EVENTS ARE FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!
Presenters subject to change without notice
In the Environmental Single category, First Place:
© Fedoseyev Lev of ZUMA Press for "Where's Santa?"
© James Gerhz Winner of Cliff Edom Award, "Oil Boom in North Dakota"
DAY ONE: Friday, AUGUST 8, 2014
5:00 - 7:00pm: Best in Photojournalism (BoP) 2014 Contest 'BestinShow’ Opening:
Palm Beach Photographic Centre (PBPC) Museum • 415 Clematis Street, West Palm Beach, Fla.
- Best of Photojournalism (BoP) 2014 Contest “BestinShow” exhibit opening
- The 2014 BoP First-Place Winners exhibit
7:30 - 10:00pm: BoP ‘14 Awards Show
Lake Pavilion and Terrace, 101 South Flagler Drive, West Palm Beach
- Premiere of the BoP’14 winners movie: “A Thousand Pictures Tell a Thousand Stories’” (showing every winner), with interludes from the 2014 BoP premier winners, who will share their experiences making their winning work.
- Presentation of the new BoP Trophyand product awards from Think Tank Photo to the Best in Photojournalism 2014 winners.
- Starters and Beverages provided by Hays Companies of Washington, DC.
DAY TWO: Saturday, AUGUST 9, 2014
A little nosh and then … Education Day with the NPPA BoP’14 premier winners. We’ll have some good learning and sharing, followed by an evening of community with an NPPA Board Town Hall Meeting for the Tribe.
8:30 - 9:30am: Breakfast Break
City Hall Chambers • 401 Clematis Street, West Palm Beach, Fla.
10:00 - 11:00am: Session #1: ILLUMINATE
- Sean Proctor, MidlandDailyNews(MI) -Photojournalist of the Year (Smaller Markets)
- Niko Koppel, TheNewYorkTimes- Newspaper Picture Editor of The Year (Individual)
- Joshua Maranhas, KDVR/KWGN TV, Denver, CO - Editor of the Year
- Tom Rapp, KCCI-TV, Des Moines, IA - Small Market Station of The Year
- Moderatedby James K. Colton, Editor-At-Large, ZUMA Wire Service
11:15 - 12:15pm: Session #2: ENLIGHTEN
- Chang W. Lee, TheNewYorkTimes – Best Use of MultiMedia
- Nicole Frugé, TheSanFranciscoChronicle– Newspaper Picture Editors of The Year (Team)
- James Gehrz, StarTribune(MN) – Cliff Edom 'New America Award'
- Aaron Kurtz, WAVY-TV, Portsmouth, VA - Medium-Market Station of The Year
- Moderatedby James K. Colton, editor-at-large ThePicturesofTheDay.com
12:30 - 1:30pm: Session #3: CHANGE
- Andy Buck, Michael Driver, Enrico Meyer and Corky Scholl
- Photojournalists from KUSA-TV, Denver - Large Market Station of The Year
- Moderatedby Bethany Swain, photojournalist and multimedia producer, University of Maryland
1:30 - 3:00pm: Lunch Break
3:15 - 4:15pm: Session #4: HOME - "Bringing the Story Home”
- Al Diaz, MiamiHerald, Staff Photojournalist. 2014 Winner of NPPA’s Humanitarian Award
- Jonathan Malat, KARE-TV, Minneapolis —Ernie Crisp Television News Photographer of the Year
4:30 - 6:00pm: Session #5: INSPIRE
- Patrick Smith, Freelance - Sports Photographer of the Year
- Scott Mc Kiernan, zReportage.com a Vision of ZUMA Press - Best Use of Photography (Magazines & Digital Publications)
- John Tlumacki, TheBostonGlobe - Photojournalist of the Year (Larger Markets)
- Moderatedby James K. Colton, editor-at-large, ThePictureOftheDay.com
7:00 - 8:00pm: Dinner Break
NPPA 2014 Photojournalist of The Year Award
© John Tlumacki, Boston Globe
8:00 - 10:00pm: NPPA Board • STATE OF THE INDUSTRY TOWN HALL MEETING with the NPPA BOARD
Palm Beach Photographic Centre Studio • 415 Clematis St., West Palm Beach, 2nd Floor
- Beverages for one and all provided by Hays, with Beer provided by DOUBLEtruck Magazine.
- Open discussion on industry issues, challenges and trends.
- Bring your questions, concerns and let’s search for solutions — together.
- All are welcome.
Debate lead by the NPPA Board of Directors:
- Mark Dolan, president.
- Mike Borland, immediate past president
- Michael King, secretary
- Jim Michalowski, treasurer
- Merry Murray, regional chair
- Nick Gonzales, student representative
- John R. Fulton Jr., director
- Amy Kinsella Gruber, director
- John Harrington, director
- Melissa Lyttle, director
- Brad Pfranger, director
- Katie Schoolov, director
- Greg Smith, director
- Bethany Swain, directo
- Moderated by Scott Mc Kiernan, vice president.
NATIONAL PRESS PHOTOGRAPHERS ASSOCIATION:
>CLICK HERE for the NPPA Website
NPPA Article on EVENT:
NPPA Event Breakdown:
- Scott Mc Kiernan ceo/founder/senior staff photographer ZUMA Wire Service
- ‘Andi’ Andriana Mereuta (projectionist and all around amazing person)
- Angel Pachkowski (official 2nd photographer and the very amazing do everything possible person)
- Ben Rusnak (official event photog)
- Greg Pachkowski (official video photographer)
- Jim Colton (moderator and general MC – the pitcher)
- Ruaridh Stewart (batting clean up)
BoP’14 FESTIVAL and NPPA Wishes To Thank our Generous Sponsors:
Think Tank Photo
Palm Beach Photographic Centre
Peak Designs (camera straps )
Zeus Solutions (DB for ‘Best in Show')
Hays Companies of Washington, DC
City of West Palm Beach
Also, a BIG THANK YOU to wonderful: Fatima NeJame and her Palm Beach Photographic Centre; the City of West Palm Beach and Mayor Jeri Muoio; and NPPA executive director Chip Deale and his amazing staffers, Thomas Kenniff and Sarah McGregor, without whom this would not been possible.
— Scott Mc Kiernan
Yet more thanks to the NPPA Board (you rock!): MarkDolan, MichaelKing, JamesMichalowski, MikeBorland, MerryMurray, NickGonzales, JohnR.FultonJr., AmyKinsellaGruber, JohnHarrington, MelissaLyttle, BradPfranger, KatieSchoolov, GregSmith and BethanySwain.
AND a SPECIAL BIG THANK YOU to all the presenters, moderators, volunteers and event staff!!!
, NPPA vice president and event chairman.